If you’ve been using the ASP.Net Ajax framework since it more or less came out and have tried to download and get the latest and greatest version of it running. You most likely ended up getting the following error message:
Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Well, after reading many a forum and trial and error, I got it to all work again. To think all of this to get the damned MaskedEditExtender to work 🙂 Here are the steps, they’re simple and with any luck anyone with this problems reading this entry will have an easier time then I.
- Unsinstall the AjaxExtentions if you have it installed on your system. You’ll see this in the add/remove programs under “Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions 1.0” or something very close to it.
- Download the new extension from here: http://asp.net/ajax/downloads/
- Install the extensions
- Download the AJAX Toolkit, you can find the link in the same place as mentioned above.
- Install them
- If you’re starting a project or website from scratch, you’re good to go now. If you already have a project that needs to be updated keep reading.
- In your project add a reference to System.Web.Extensions and System.Web.Extensions.Design
- Remove references to Microsoft.Web.Extensions and Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design (if you have any)
- Remove references to AjaxControlToolkit (if you have it)
- Add a reference to AjaxControlToolkit (make sure you’re referencing the newly downloaded one)
- Go through your code and replace references to Microsoft.Web.Extensions with System.Web.Extensions
- Build and pray
If you still have issues, drop me a line, I might be able to help, but I’m not promising anything.